Course Link: https://www.boat-ed.com/texas/
Rules & regulations: https://www.boat-ed.com/texas/boating_law/
Course Cost: The Texas Boat Ed Course fee is $39.95, and a $10.00 state fee.
Who requires the course: You need boater education if you were born after Aug. 31, 1993, and will be operating a boat over 15 hp, a PWC, or a sailboat over 14 feet long in Texas.
Age Restriction: You must be at least 13 years old to take this online course.
Residency Requirement: You do not have to be a resident of Texas to take this online course.
Format: Online Only & Timed (3-hour min.)
Course Time: On average it will take 4-6 hours to complete.
Course Time Limit: You have 90 days to complete the course.
Chapters: 6 Chapters in total.
Quizzes and/or Exams:
- Quizzes: Each quiz is 10 questions. If you fail a unit quiz, you must restudy the unit and take the quiz again until you pass. You must score at least 80% on the unit quizzes to pass.
- Exam: The Certification Exam is the exam you take at the end of the online course. You must score at least 80% on the exam to pass. You have unlimited attempts to pass the exam. If you don’t complete the exam in one session, don’t worry. When you log in later, you will be taken to the first unanswered question of the exam.
- Once you pass and pay for the online course, you will be able to immediately print out the Temporary Boater Education Certificate. This is your proof of online course completion. You can print the Temporary Boater Education Certificate right then, and/or request that a PDF be emailed to you. This certificate EXPIRES 60 days after course completion.
- The Boating Safety Education Certificate is proof that you have successfully completed all the education requirements. Your permanent boater safety certificate will be available on https://tpwd.elementlms.com/am-i-certified/ within 30 days.
To replace a lost, destroyed, or damaged Boater Education Certificate, go to https://tpwd.elementlms.com/am-i-certified/.
Texas Parks and Wildlife Department
(512) 389-4800 | (800) 792-1112
Do I have to complete the course all at once?
You may complete the course at your own pace. The course can be completed in one sitting or completed a little at a time over several days. All pay-up-front courses are available for 90 days from the time of registration and payment.
Is the Texas Boat Ed Course approved by the Texas Parks and Wildlife?
The Texas Boat Ed Course is approved and accepted by the Texas Parks and Wildlife.
Is my Texas Boater Education Certificate accepted elsewhere?
For visiting boaters, all states, territories, and provinces will recognize boating education cards that meet NASBLA requirements and Canadian Pleasure Craft Operator Cards that meet Transport Canada’s requirements. (This is known as “reciprocity.”)
Please sign in to leave a comment.