Course Cost: The Rhode Island Boat Ed Course fee is $29.95.
Who requires the course: Rhode Island law requires anyone born on or after January 1, 1986, operating a motorized vessel over 10 hp to pass a boater safety course and to carry a boater education card.
Age Restriction: There is no minimum age requirement to take this online course.
Residency Requirement: You do not have to be a resident of Rhode Island to take this online course.
Course Time: On average it will take 4-6 hours to complete.
Course Time Limit: You have 90 days to complete the course.
Format: Online + In Person Exam & Timed (3-hour min.)
In-person component: https://www.boat-ed.com/rhodeisland/in_person_component.html
Chapters: 6 Chapters in total.
Quizzes and/or Exams:
- Quizzes: Each quiz has 10 questions. If you fail a unit quiz, you can take it again until you pass. You must score at least 70% on the unit quizzes to pass.
- Exam: There is no completion document for this study material. Once you study the online course material, you must sign up for an In-Person Exam to complete your Boating safety certification.
- Once you pass and pay for the online course, you will be able to immediately print out the Temporary Boating Safety Certificate. This is your proof of online course completion. You can print the Temporary Boating Safety Certificate right then, and/or request that a PDF be emailed to you. This certificate expires 60 days after course completion.
- There is no completion document for this study material. Once you study the online course material, you must sign up for an In-Person Exam to complete your Boating safety certification.
- The Certificate of Boating Safety Education is proof that you have successfully completed all the education requirements. The Certificate of Boating Safety Education will arrive within 7-10 days after you complete all certification requirements.
To replace a lost or destroyed Certificate of Boating Safety Education, go to http://dem.ri.gov/programs/bpoladm/manserv/hfb/boating/pdfs/boatcard-replace.pdf. Please contact the state at 401-222-3070 for any questions or concerns.
Rhode Island FAQ:
Do I have to complete the course all at once?
You may complete the course at your own pace. The course can be completed in one sitting or completed a little at a time over several days. All pay-up-front courses are available for 90 days from the time of registration and payment.
Is the Rhode Island Boat Ed Course approved by the Rhode Island Department of Environmental Management/Environmental Police?
The Rhode Island Boat Ed Course is approved and accepted by the Rhode Island Department of Environmental Management/Environmental Police.
Is my Rhode Island Certificate of Boating Safety Education accepted elsewhere?
For visiting boaters, most states, territories, and provinces will recognize boating education cards that meet NASBLA requirements and Canadian Pleasure Craft Operator Cards that meet Transport Canada’s requirements. (This is known as “reciprocity.”) Please contact the visiting state, territory, or province for rules regarding their reciprocity.
Will my progress get saved if I log out?
Yes, your progress will be saved, when you log out of your course