Rules & regulations: https://www.boat-ed.com/maine/boating_law/
Course Cost: The Maine Boat Ed Course fee is $34.95.
Who requires the course: You need education if you are older than 12 years of age, are unsupervised, and will be operating a vessel powered by a motor of more than 10 hp in Maine. You also need education if you are between 16 and 17 years of age and will be operating a personal watercraft (PWC).
Age Restriction: You must be at least 10 years old to take this online course.
Residency Requirement: You do not have to be a resident of Maine to take this online course.
Format: Online Only & Timed (3 hour min. online study)
Course Time: On average it will take 4-6 hours to complete.
Course Time Limit: You have 90 days to complete the course.
Chapters: 6 Chapters in total.
Quizzes and/or Exams:
- Quizzes: Each quiz is 10 questions. If you fail a unit quiz, you must restudy the unit and take the quiz again until you pass. You must score at least 80% on the unit quizzes to pass.
- Exam: The Final Exam is the exam you take at the end of the online course. The final exam is 60 questions, you must score at least 80% on the exam to pass. You have unlimited attempts to pass the exam. If you don’t complete the exam in one session, don’t worry. When you log in later, you will be taken to the first unanswered question of the exam.
- Once you pass and pay for the online course, you will be able to immediately print out the Certificate of Completion. This is your proof of online course completion. You can print the Certificate of Completion right then, and/or request that a PDF be emailed to you. This certificate EXPIRES 90 days after course completion.
- The Boater Education Certificate is proof that you have successfully completed all the education requirements. The Boater Education Certificate will arrive within 2-3 weeks after you complete all certification requirements.
- To replace a lost, destroyed, or damaged Boater Education Certificate, go to https://ilostmycard.com/.
Do I have to complete the course all at once?
You may complete the course at your own pace. The course can be completed in one sitting or completed a little at a time over several days. All pay-up-front courses are available for 90 days from the time of registration and payment.
Is the Maine Boat Ed Course approved by the Maine Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife?
The Maine Boat Ed Course is approved and accepted by the Maine Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife.
Is my Maine Boater Education Certificate accepted elsewhere?
For visiting boaters, all states, territories, and provinces will recognize boating education cards that meet NASBLA requirements and Canadian Pleasure Craft Operator Cards that meet Transport Canada’s requirements. (This is known as “reciprocity.”)
Will my progress get saved if I logout?
Yes, your progress will be saved, when you logout of your course